Friday, June 6, 2008

"Umbrage"

A few months ago the guys at the CRREDA made a ladder for me at my request. Why? So I could pass my free time tanning on my roof. It relaxes me and gives me space from the world.... about 7-10 feet of space specifically. But it's just enough. Furthermore, I like to be tan. Actually, I hope to be able to do that this very afternoon.

Every few days when Yolanda gets home from work (I am usually home first), we go to the super blancos to get some snacks or groceries or just enjoy the A/C. Our conversations get deeper and deeper as we hang out in the evenings (forcing a grand expansion on my Spanish vocabulary). I feel quite comfortable with her. Yesterday we were talking about what defines beauty and I told her that in the U.S. we are taught by the media that beauty is skinny and tan. She said it is quite different in Mexico. Beauty is a little bit of weight ("muffining" as I recently learned... It means that you have a little pudge poofing out at the top of your jeans in a muffin like way...) and very pale skin. My interest in tanning makes absolutely no sense to them. She said to me that I am very beautiful in Mexico. I don't quite know how to respond to that. I dont know what to do when I am in social groups and the guys show and OBVIOUS preference for me. Especially when I know it is merely based on their idea of beauty. It is strange to think about... and horrible.... You can't win no matter where you live.

I am currently reading "Mountain of Spices" by Hannah Hurnard. It is quite timely as I am facing some recurring frustration with being unjustly wronged. The book allegorically speaks over and over about love and how love isn't based at all... or affected at all... by anothers reaction to you. It is comparing reeds blowing in the wind... how they are sturdy but just let the wind roll over you. How you learn to not even mind as you grow more and more like Christ. Ken Thompson used to always say to me "You gotta be a Duck Karis... just let it all roll off your back".
The chapter I am reading now, the characters name is "Umbrage", which I had to look up. It is now at the top of my vocab list. It talks about how her response to being wronged led her to choice after choice which slowly tanked her life... I have to be willing to follow the Shepherd and let the wind just roll on by. God is so much better and bigger. Back off and look at the big picture Karis!

Armed with this reminder I gave up to God my frustrations once again and immediately my eyes were opened once again to what matters.... Baseline importance: Gods love for humanity. EVERY one. Every interaction. Every blow received. Every person passed. All of them are his sheep... his children. As Mark would say, "brothers and sisters, created in the Divine Image."


I will be going to Hermosillo, capitol of Sonora, next week with a huge group from the US and Mexico. There will be bible school and work projects and so forth. It should be great. It will also be 115 degrees. Prayers for hydration and ability to sleep please.

I will be in Erie for a week at the end of June FYI.

I have some great pictures to add but no time at the moment. Be well and Godbless!

3 comments:

Dave.hess@everynation.org said...

be sure to drink plenty of water! ...Also, how come I can't post on your blog and leave a link to my http://davehess.wordpress.com blog ?

Dave

Jackie said...

karis,
glad you're back in blogland!

Unknown said...

hi karis, nice to have you home!